- the curious footprints trails -

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Streets of Malaysia

As a child, I grew up in Seremban Negeri Sembilan. I remembered the old times when I use to hang out with my school mates and friends. So often I couldn’t stop to wonder how the streets play a big part of my life and memories. I couldn’t feel more at home then driving in familiar hometown streets. Seremban is a small town and we do not have a high population. So the streets are not as busy as KL street.

The one thing I remember most is the pasar malam near my house every Saturday night. It would be crowded by pedestrians every week. The smell of fried noodles awakened my senses. The loud noises of shopkeepers shouting their promotions attract pedestrians to come over. As for me, I would not miss the ‘’cha siew pao’’ also know as fried bun. If I were late, it would be sold out. I dare to say that commercialized food cannot beat the taste of authentic local food. The old man selling the fried bun has been doing this for the past 30 years now and has been labeled the best fried pao in town. His wife helps him too as their business is quite hectic. I remember once asking him why didn’t he buy a shop lot or get other people to help him. His reply was simple, the flavor of the bun is not easy to achieve and he figured that the only way to keep the flavor right is by doing it himself. He is now 72 years old and at the same street every Saturday with the same hawker stall.

Every time I’m back to my hometown, the streets give me a sense of belonging and safety. The ambient harmony can only be felt in the streets where you see all kinds of people at the same place. I look forward to see familiar faces every time I’m out. Thank god I was born here. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment